Wednesday, March 08, 2006

How Many Flowers To Make Potpourri?

Good question if I do say so myself! Think about it. A very large basket of flowers from a flower shop will cost you anywhere from $30.00 on up. It takes approximately 6-8 of these baskets of flowers to dry to give me a quart sized bag of dried flowers. Think about it..... 8 x 30 = 240........ $240.00
I sell my GALLON baggie sized dried flowers for $3.50 on eBay. If I had to pay for these flowers to dry myself......the potpourri would be at exhorbiant prices. They are totally flowers - no fillers.

I want to express with extreme gratitude to my 'supplier' - Mr. M. Without him, I would not be able to make my potpourri. He called me a couple days ago to let me know he had some more flowers for me. I always use my own car to pick these up - but the last several times, unfortuneatly they made a real mess ........ petals everywhere, water leaked out on the seats ( even though I'd drained the pots before putting them in my car), and sometimes, a definite 'smell' remained....... not very pleasant... according to my dh. DH told me I would have to see if our SIL, who does have a truck, would be able to take me for these pickups. Anyway, the flowers needed to be picked up by a certain time, and because I do watch my grandkids during the afternoons which means I am only able to do this either before noon or after 7 pm - Mr. M. offered me the use of his Van. Wow. I was totally surprised, amazed actually- because he really hasn't known me very long, to trust me with his vehicle. To trust me enough to know I would be most careful with it, and would return it immediately. Maybe because my cousin is married to his brother-in-law? I really don't know, lol - but I can't express how I felt to know he was willing to trust me enough to 'borrow' his van. As it turns out - when I did go to pick up the flowers - there really weren't too many that I couldn't fit in my trunk. They were pretty dry, and as soon as I got home I took them out of the trunk and left them in the driveway until today. No mess, no wqter, no yelling from dh, lol. There had to be at least 8 baskets - by the time I'd cut off the flowers - they did not even fill a plastic shopping bag from the grocery store.
The bags of potpourri you get from the stores 'might' have some flowers in them - but are mostly fillers. Wood chips, pinecones, wood shavings, some dyed, some left natural. You want really good floral potpourri - you see The Krazy Kraft Lady!

1 comment:

  1. I think of you and your previous potpourri post every time I pass one of your "suppliers"! lol I personally think it's a great idea of how to get the flowers. Wish you lived here and we could set up a potpourri business together! I'm in Florida and we have lots of suppliers nearby!

    ReplyDelete