Sunday, April 13, 2008

Caswell, Primitive Sheep

Earlier in the week I had posted a slide show of some items I purchased while on our road trip to Chicago. One of the items was a twin sized chenille bedspread. I bought that with the intention of cutting it up to use in my crafts, specifically prim sheep. Caswell is my first sheep from the chenille bedspread. I love how he turned out. The chenille is tea dyed to give it an old look. I painted Caswell's nose and ears with black acrylic paint.

Caswell is adapted from a pattern of the same name by Crooked Creek Mercantile.

The original pattern calls for a double 'blanket' with either a heart or a star sewn on it. While I like that, I wasn't crazy about a blanket covering up the chenille. I decided to make a 'pocket' with a star handsewn in the center. I added a rusty bell to that as well and filled the pocket with Sweet Annie, an American flag and an old spool. The original pattern also has a crow sitting on Caswell's back, which this one does not have. I do plan on making more Caswell's - and the crow will turn up on a few of them.

The legs are cinnamon sticks which have tea dyed cheesecloth wrapped around the tops.

This was a fun pattern to make. This is the original Caswell.
http://www.createaprim.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/966/cat/500/ppuser/9

The pattern can be purchased here

http://createaprim.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=690

and if you like my version of Caswell, he's now listed in my KKL Primitives shoppe.

1 comment:

  1. Caswell is really cute. Found your blog while surfin!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete