Friday, January 23, 2009

Cardiac Surgery

I've not made anything new this past week as I've had to go in for 'cardiac surgery'. The lead on my dual pacemaker/defibrillator was fractured and not pacing my heart as it should have been so I needed to go in the hospital on Wed. of this week for a replacement. They cut into the original incision but had to lengthen it because the surgeon was having trouble getting to the lead. Once the new one was screwed into the right ventricle they had to shock me to make sure my defibrillator was working and I got some burns on my chest and back. I'm told that's normal and it looks like a rash/sunburn. The stitching is done beneath the skin and a 'glue' is applied to the outside of the incision which will wear away in about a week. I am very tender and sore and it feels like I'm carrying a bowling ball on my shoulder. I was hoping to get some sewing done this weekend but looks like I'm going to have to put it off for awhile.

7 comments:

  1. Wow..not the way to bring in the New Year...but sounds like a good thing you had the choice at least, to make things right. I hope the soreness goes away and you are back to stitching soon. Blessings , cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it heals fast and you get to feeling better soon hon , I will be thinking about you.

    Hugs
    Renae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise- I am so sorry to hear you had to endure an unexpected cardiac surgery. But I'm so glad to know you are on your way to feeling better. I will keep you in my prayers....now get off the computer and go take a nap. :)
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Neenee:

    Oh, my! I'm sorry that happened, but I'm glad you're doing better. Hopefully the rest of 2009 will be a much better year for you. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone. I'm feeling more like myself this afternoon. Still sore of course but able to use my arm a little more without flinching. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your feeling better real soon! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete