Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fresh Tomato Salsa


Click on photo to view larger image


Tomatoes are in abundance right now and I'm getting ready to make some homemade salsa. 

 
I have a mini food chopper that I use to chop up my tomatoes and onions. If you don't have a chopper, you can certainly use a blender on the chop cycle.
Fills approximately 2 quart sized jars - maybe a little more.  I added approximate measurements to this  recipe since it works for my family. You can always refine it to suit your own family's taste. 

I do NOT traditionally 'can' my salsa as it loses that 'fresh' salsa taste.  I usually make about 4-6 quarts and share with family members.  Within 2 weeks they are ready for more.  A friend of the family will use store bought canned tomatoes when fresh tomatoes are no longer in season when he makes his homemade salsa.  It's really very good.



Fresh Salsa


9 large ripe tomatoes, washed

2 large onions
2-3 Tsp. dried cilantro ( fresh is better but I can't always find it)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
garlic - to taste ( we like garlic so I use alot - about 2 tsp. minced garlic or 2 tsp. garlic powder)
1/4 cup jalepeno's or more if prefer 'hot' ( I buy the ones in a jar already sliced up and add to the chopper. I found mine in the Mexican aisle with salsa, taco shells, refried beans, etc.)
2 fresh limes


Chop up tomatoes to the consistency you prefer - I like small chunks
Chop up onions to consistency you prefer
Chop up jalepeno's - or leave whole
Add salt, pepper, cilantro and the juice from two fresh limes ( don't throw away the rinds - toss them into a pitcher of iced tea or lemonade!)


Very easy to make - and delicious!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, I have been buying salsa in the
    store and I don't like it, I am spoiled
    because I like the chips and salsa we get
    in Papa Pablanos! I will have to try this...
    Thanks again..
    Bear Hugs~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make this salsa, it sounds easy enought to make and my tomatoes won't go to waste. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Janet and Karen
    You'll both have to let me know how you like it once you've made it. I keep saying I'm canning, but the way my family eats it, it won't stay on the shelf more than 2 weeks. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some salsa this morn, TOTALLY didnt add in garlic, I need to. Wish I had cilantro, Im not canning it but I really should try some nummers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so tasty and I know my guys will love it - going to make some just as soon as my tomatoes are ripe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete