Sunday, October 11, 2009

Possible Malware Detection

I recently received 2 separate emails from readers saying that when they try to get on this blog that they are being told by their anti-virus program/ Google Chrome that this site 'may be' distributing malware.  One reader said that she was getting 'pop unders' when she accessed the blog.  I recalled that a few weeks back one of the craft forums that I belong to was having a similar problem and she was advised to delete her plug board which was the cause of her problems because someone kept plugging a button that was redirecting to a malware site. ( I hope I got that right).  Anyway, I went into Google Webmaster Tools and submitted this blog for verification and it does come back as saying 'this site may be distributing malware'.  This is very upsetting to me and I do apologize to readers who have been having a problem.
I've gone into my HTML layout and have not been able to detect anything that does not belong.  I've run SuperAntiSpyware on my computer and no harmful spyware was detected.  I also removed the plug board 'just in case' and resubmitted this blog for reconsideration ( meaning Google will review the site again to make sure it's not in violation.  If it passes, then it will once again show up in Google searches and be considered 'safe'.
I'm truly hoping that the problem lay in the plugboard and now that it's gone that there will be no more problems.  Unfortunately, it could take up to several weeks for the reconsideration request.
I just wanted to let you know I am not taking this lightly. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had any probs accessing your blog.
    kathren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got it fixed! I didn't think you would be doing something bad that my virus program would go off!

    ReplyDelete