Friday, August 26, 2011

A Start On Kitchen Cabinets

 As you can see, I took off these cabinet doors and hardware to get ready to start painting.  First, I used a sanding block and sanded down the cabinets, wiping with a clean rag afterwards.  Then I sponged on some denatured alcohol to remove any remaining 'dirt' and let dry.  The next step was to paint on some primer/sealer and then my Prairie Sage.
I had bought one handle pull to see how I liked it with this color and I was IN LOVE with it.  Turns out I bought the wrong thing, it was a drawer PULL.  I thought my handles were 3" from center to center, but they were 2 7/8" and the only recourse would have been to putty one of the holes and drill in new ones.  Tom didn't want to do that.  He liked the original handles.  We compromised.  I dipped them in the denatured alcohol for about 5 minutes and 'let' him clean them up with a green scrubbie.  They look like copper now and we both really like them.
Some people only paint the outside of their cabinets and leave the insides go, but I felt if I was going to all this trouble I wanted them done inside and out.  Besides I have a whole gallon of paint.  Tonight I'm going to work on the doors and hang them tomorrow.  I'm starting from one end of the kitchen to the other.  This is going to take me forever, lol.  Hope you like my kitchen makeover so far.
★Denise★

7 comments:

  1. I really love what you did and can't wait to see how the doors look.
    Ours are falling from the walls, so they have to be replaced.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking really good so far! Can't wait to see the finished product - especially those handles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a lot of work, but it will look fantastic when you get it done! TFS

    Bear Hugs & Blessings~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise
    Your kitchen is coming along nicely, should look wonderful when it's finished, look forward to seeing your progress.
    Keep at it!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I so need to do that to my kitchen cabinets. Looking good hon, but sounds like you've been working hard. It'll be well worth it though in the end. You'll have the sharpest looking kitchen on the block:-)
    xoxo~Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to do a lot of work cleaning and repairing apartments for a living.... I used TSP (trisodium phosphate) a lot for removing grease, grime and the finish from surfaces. I still use it when I have to repaint, it makes the surface paintable without doing all the sanding. Just a bit of nonsense from an old woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you are doing! Can't wait to see the doors and the handles. Big project but it will be so nice when you get it done.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete