Saturday, September 03, 2011

Kitchen Makeover - Halfway Done

 Whew!  Painting the kitchen cabinets is taking me much longer to do than I anticipated, lol.  Of course the only time I can work on them is in the evenings after dinner and by 9 pm I've had it and clean up for the night.  The first 4 doors that I painted and hung I took down and resanded and repainted.  I wasn't happy with them.  I had used 6 inch foam rollers and that was a HUGE mistake as little pieces of foam would break off and imbed into the paint.  I went back to Home Depot and bought 7 inch SMOOTH rollers, that resemble regular paint rollers.  The results were MUCH better.
This is how far I've made it since Thursday night.
I'm taking a break for several days since my sister Diane came to visit me ( from Michigan) and will be here through Wednesday.  :)  Since working on the cabinets I have not had any time to do any crafting, but with Diane here, who is a crocheter, chances are we will work on our individual projects together while catching up and enjoying a few toddies!  ;)
I'm having the 'big kids' and grand children over on Sunday for a final summer 'picnic' and pool party before we close it up for the winter.  It's supposed to be a very HOT weekend.
Hope everyone has a happy and SAFE holiday weekend!

PS  for the reader who was wondering how Tom painted the range hood:  After cleaning off the hood to remove all grease, he masked off the silver areas on top and the strip on the front.  He then sprayed a primer paint on the hood and when that was completely dry, he painted over that with black gloss.  


★Denise★

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Denise! Those cabinets are looking fantastic! I know firsthand how much work is involved in painting cabinets. We did ours earlier this year and I thought we'd never finish. But it's so worth it in the end! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen. Enjoy your visit with your sister and have a wonderful weekend with the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your kitchen is looking. It is beautiful! Enjoy your time with your sister and the last summer picnic with family. We are hoping to get in our pool one more time and then we have to close it for the winter also. I always hate closing the pool...end of summer. :)
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your kitchen is looking! We went to the lumber yard today and it was closed! So, we went to another one, in another town and got new trim for ours and I changed my mind, again. I was going to paint the counter tops, then it was, maybe tile them, then paint them, then I found some counter tops, that I like and I am going to get them....Then I might paint the cabinets a color to go with them, instead of leaving them white...It might take me another month to decide on the color, for the cabinets!...I am not good at making up my mind on things, as you can see!...lol...Have a great weekend!

    Bear Hugs & Blessings~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin' good!! I hope you have a great time catching up with your sister and a wonderful weekend with the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a difference. Really lightened up the room. I think it's good to do a little at a time. Is looking good gal:-)
    xoxo~Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I shouldn't have let that maniacal laugh escape but I couldn't help myself. It was a laugh that said I've been there and know what you are talking about! We started a kitchen reno a few months ago and still aren't finished. Painting the kitchen cabinets was the hardest part, by far. On the bright side, it will be worth it when you are finished. All we have left to do is put the beadboard backsplash up. Good luck and enjoy your visit with your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking great, Denise! :-) Best of luck with all your projects! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really looking great and looks much brighter. I hope you had a great time with family over the weekend.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete