Friday, November 25, 2011

Crafting With The Grandkids - Spool Ornies


 Back in October, Terry's Treasures posted the spool ornaments she had made.  I had commented on her post that I thought this would be a great project to do with my older grandchildren.  They worked on them today with a little help from Gramma.  I think they turned out really cute!  The kids wanted to paint their spools but I talked them into using colored markers ( less messy).  I purchased some Christmas themed scrap paper which I pre-measured and cut into strips for them. They glued these around the center of the spool.  I bought red and green ribbon ( which we ran out of and substituted yarn) to thread through the spools and add the beads to.  These ornies will be going home with the kids today for their own tree.  I'm thinking I may make a few for my own tree, substituting homespun strips for the paper centers and rusty bells for the beads.

5 comments:

  1. Very cute idea Denise! I may have to try this with my grandsons as they love to do "arts and crafts" projects. Thanks for sharing the idea.
    Blessings,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, those are cool. Of course yours will be primitive :-)
    Hugs~Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your spool ornies! Such good memories for the grandkids too! I might have to try some myself.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Denise, the ornaments are a neat idea.
    I love homemade ornaments of all kinds. My little prim tree has all homemade ones. Great idea, I may have to try these.
    Tamera
    Country at heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids' spool ornaments came out so cute! Good idea to use rusty bells too. I have some of those somewhere! :0)

    ReplyDelete