Sunday, April 15, 2012

Oak & Glass Canister ' Makeover'

 About 8 years ago I was gifted with an oak & glass cannister set exactly like the one pictured below.
I kept my tea bags and coffee in 2 of them and the 3rd one was always empty.  Two years ago I purchased two willow tree canisters in Lancaster, PA and used those for my tea bags and coffee and put the oak one away, not sure what I wanted to do with them.  I'd even thought of putting them on eBay, after first asking all three of my daughters if they could use them.  When they couldn't use them, I just held on to them for sentimental sake.  Last week I plowed into my sewing/craft room and began reorganizing and rearranging things.  I had about 6 canning jars with sorted buttons in them that was just taking up room that I could have used for other things.  When I came across these canisters I decided that they would be PERFECT for storing my buttons.  It sits perfectly on top of one of my file cabinets where I keep my craft patterns ( all organized btw).
Today Tom spray painted them matte black for me.  I then sprayed them with a clear matte sealant and hot glued some rusty stars on the lids.  Love how they turned out.  The newer willow canisters are behind them.
The only problem now is.........................I love them so much, I want them back in my kitchen.  LOL



★Denise★

14 comments:

  1. Those canisters are so sweet looking sprayed and decorated like that! THIS is why I love blogs...I get so many ideas from people who are far more clever and crafty than I am! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the re-do on your canisters! Good thing you didn't toss them like I did. Now, I'm wishing I'd kept the similar ones I had and not donated them to Goodwill when I last took a load of stuff there.
    Hmm, wonder if they're still there? lol
    TFS
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't blame you, I would want them out where everyone could see them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with your canisters! I think I would want them back in my kitchen too!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to give new life to your canisters Love It!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Denise ;o) I thought the stars were painted on at first. I like those kind of canisters.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look prim perfect. I think everything looks better with some black paint on it!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great make over, I think I would want them back in the kitchen, too! How was your trip?

    Blessings~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great makeover....I really like what you did with these! I'm a new follower, stop by and visit sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE how those turned out!!! Darn'it'all I had one of those sets but sold it a yard sale a couple yrs. ago:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa! They look awesome! I think you should shop garage sales and thrift stores for another set for the kitchen! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are so nice and the perfect thing for storing sewing supplies. What a great idea!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great makeover. How its done? thanks for sharing this idea....

    ReplyDelete