Saturday, October 06, 2012

Lancaster PA & Carlisle Trip

Tom & I left Monday morning for our annual Fall Trip to Lancaster & Carlisle PA.  I wasn't feeling well when we left, had a bad head cold but was hoping it wouldn't last too long.  Unfortunately it turned into a chest cold and possibly bronchitis.  Thankfully it didn't hinder our trip, but it was extremely annoying all the same.  I had made arrangements with Teresa of Teresa's Prim Treasures for Thursday.  Tom would be at the Fall Carlisle Car Show and we had planned for Teresa to pick me up and spend the day together.  Teresa arranged for Michelle of Briar Patch Primitives to meet up with us.  By Wednesday I wasn't feeling any better and thought I'd better let Teresa know in case she would like to cancel our outing.  She didn't :) 
When we left home here in Pittsburgh, we stopped in Bedford PA at Founders Crossing.  At one time it used to be an old W.T. Grants store which operated from 1906 until 1976.  It is now part antique store and part handcrafted items.  I saw a lot of items that were not handcrafted, but still very nice country/primitive. 
Right down the street from Founders Crossing is Fort Bedford which was constructed during the French and Indian War by British troops.  President George Washington marched his army to Bedford in 1794 to subdue the Whiskey Rebellion.  He made his headquarters at the Espy House hotel which still stands as a bakery and apartments.  I find all this interesting NOW - but when I was in school....................BORING.  lol
 I bought several pip berry candle rings and electric candles for future projects.
From bedford we drove to Hummelstown PA to the Olde Factory.  There are 3 floors of antiques and handcrafted items.  I purchased a distressed black bench for $10 that I am using to display my Fall/Halloween items on in my house.  See my next post for photos.  I also bought an old wood child's chair for $5 that I plan on making an electric candle light arrangement on.  It is a bluish gray color, but the photo looks natural.
From Hummelstown, we drove on to Lancaster.  We hit all my favorite shops. My current one being the Amish Trader wholesale store.  I bought 9 - 5 yard bundles of homespun fabric for $15 each.  It equals out to $3 per yard.
I also purchased some rusty stars, rusty star garland, berry garland and jute cord.  I plan on making some homespun garlands to sell.
Thurs. morning at 9 am Teresa picked me up in Carlisle and we drove to a couple fabric places she knew of and a bulk foods store.  I bought a box of Shoo Fly cake mix and a package of Harvest beans to make some soup.  The beans are orange, green, black and white and you just add water, carrots, celery, shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and cooked diced chicken for a wonderful soup!  Can't wait to make it!
We met up with Michelle around 11 am. and went to The Drying Shed in Chambersburg Pa where I bought some dried wheat, cattails, and a few other dried items for this arrangement.
 The sunflowers I made a couple years ago and had in this crock along with some dried Sweet Annie.  The Sweet Annie was ready to be replaced.
We had a lovely lunch at Hoss's and headed on to Grant Street Woolworks for a 'hook in'.  It's every Thursday from noon to 9 pm where a group of very friendly women meet, work on their current projects and just gab!  It was such a relaxing afternoon and Teresa taught me how to make my very first penny rug.  This is what I was able to finish Thurs. afternoon.  I haven't had a chance to work on it anymore since returning home.

It is all 100% wool.  Once the outside pennies are completed, I plan to add a pumpkin in the center.  I still need to complete 2 more wholesale orders then I can get back to this project.  Can't wait!  I even have enough wool left to make one more! Teresa worked on some embroidery/applique pillow ornies  and Michelle on needle punch. 
Teresa drove me to the Blue Mountain Exit where Tom picked me up a little after 5 pm. and we headed back home.  I had such a lovely afternoon - thank you so much Teresa!!!
We arrived home around 8:30 pm.  Tom unloaded our truck and we both were in bed an hour later.  I had a pretty rough night with my 'cold/bronchitis' and moved myself into the living room so Tom could at least get a good night's rest.  I was up from 3 am until 4:30 watching The Spy Next Door with Jackie Chan.   I'm not coughing as much today and last night had a decent nights sleep, at least wasn't wheezing as much so I am hoping this is going to go away on its own. 
Going to post some photos of my 'Fall/Halloween' decorations in my living room and then I really need to start getting some housework done, its my turn to host our monthly Bunco party on Thursday and I have a lot to do!
Thanks so much for stopping by!







★Denise★

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well just in time for the trip. Love those fabrics you bought, what a steal. Me thinks I would like Amish country... ;)

    Blessings, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the cold/bronchitis. Sounds like a wonderful trip though with lots of fun stops. That was quite a bargain on the homespun fabric.

    ReplyDelete