Monday, November 12, 2012

*NEW* WOOL APPLIQUE PENNY RUG CANDLE MAT & OTHER GOOD STUFF

 Originally I was going to start this post off with a WIP that I started this morning and then post photos of things I bought on our latest trip.  I ended up finishing the WIP before I got my photos downloaded from my camera so took a photo of the finished piece too.
I bought a silver plastic serving tray at the $ store to use as my template for the oval shaped base.  The base is a 100% felted  wool gray soft tweed boucle (knobby look).  I sketched a petal shape and leaf shape for a flower and used red & green wool for those.  Using lids I had around the house I traced 2 circle shapes for the inside of the flower and sewed on small wooden beads around the center.
I used black felt for the backing.  The oval piece and flowers are blanket stitched in red perle cotton and the leaves in green.

While on our trip I stopped in a Joann Fabrics to buys some wool felt.
Green, red and dark gray
I was anxious to get these felted but only got the green done today.
I just love how soft and luxurious it turned out!

These are some items I bought on our trip
Top left is old rusty measuring spoon, one cup sifter, an old whisk and pie crust crimper tool.
I'm going to redo these boxes for Christmas.  I'm not a painter but I was thinking barn red, hunter green and gold and sponge some white on them.  Going to check into stencils too.
Picked up these pewter salt & pepper shakers to add to the 2 rolling pin shelf I purchased from Carol of Firecracker Kid's Primitives.  LOVE my new shelf!!
The large wooden rolling pin is a new purchase too.  I want to add some cup holders to hang the rusty spoon and pie crimper from.  The whisk is too large to hang in the front - may hang off the side.  Right now it's hanging off the lower rolling pin's handle.

One more thing!!  My grand daughter Jordyn FOUND MY LOST star wool candle mat!!!  Yay Jordyn!!!!




★Denise★

6 comments:

  1. I love making penny rugs, fun, fast and they make great gifts.
    Carol and her husband make the most wonderful pieces, I have a few and love them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your latest penny rug and see I told you that star one still might turn up :)
    Great finds on your trip. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure is a pretty penny mat! I love the mix of colors and prints. You've got an eye for that. That's so cool your lost candle mat turned up.
    OMGosh, what a nut I am, I forgot to put the cut nails on your rolling pin keep. I'll be in touch. Love your old stuff you have displayed on it :)
    Hugs~Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise. Beautiful candle mat. So glad y'all found the missing candle mat. Misplacing things is so awful, isn't it? I love your idea for re-doing the 3 craft boxes for the holidays. Show us photos when they are done, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Joanns yesterday and bought wool felt and fabric, spent $175.00, but I stocked up. Love your pennyrug as always and all of your goodies that you found!

    ReplyDelete