Saturday, February 09, 2013

" I REALLY LIKE AND WANT THIS ITEM, BUT I THINK THE PRICE MAY BE TOO HIGH"

Just wanted to share a comment made on my previous post from my friend Dolores.  But first a little background.
Dolores purchased all of the wool for her penny rugs that I am making for her and had it shipped to me.  I had to come up with a price for my time (labor) for making them.  I've never had to do that before, as I use the materials I have on hand and then price my items according to what I think people might pay for them.  ( actually my tax lady says that's the WRONG way to do this and I'll write about that in another posting).  It was really difficult to come up with a price.  I don't (can't) work on my projects straight through.  I have to work on them as I have time.  While I love to craft, I still have a household to keep up and grandchildren to watch.  What to charge, what to charge....  I finally came up with a price and I was a little worried that it might be too much.  Dolores paid it plus gave me a 'bonus'.
Dolores' comment:

Before you examine a handcrafted item, and put it back down saying "it's too much" think of the cost of materials and hours of labor that went into that piece from conception to completion. Then realize...you aren't just buying a piece of art, but a part of that person's heart and soul who created it.  
Thank you,
Dolores





★Denise★

9 comments:

  1. This is very true, however, there is always the "competition" element, as well as moving the merchandise. I have seen many people price there items high, and many, many months later, the item is still in their etsy shop, or blog store. If the item doesn't sell,then I can't recoup the cost of materials I spent. It is still a real dilemma. There is also the impression the customer can get when you bill them for the price with the shipping. Psychologically, the entire amount can turn off the customer, even if it is fair. I am from Canada. So what I have to do, since my shipping prices are higher (as almost all my customers are in the States,) is I have had to lower my prices as an incentive for an American to buy from a Canadian, as opposed to someone more local. It has always been a matter of balance, and it has always been a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the kind of customers that can make your day. They appreciate your work and give you credit for the hours of work and the love that is put into the craft. We try to make a living doing what we love and people like that make it worthwhile.

    Blessings,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise...I had to do the very same thing recently. A customer ordered a Cranberry Scoop Gathering and Candle Sticks. She wanted me to price them including shipping. It was hard because i had no idea how many hours I'vd have in the project. I finally came up with a price.
    she was happy with it and I was too.

    I love what your costumer wrote its so true!

    Blessings
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise,
    I have the same problem pricing my items. People always say I sell my items to cheap. I've been selling in flea market booths for 4 yrs now and have played with the pricing. My items are as good as any prim shop, but because it's in a flea market setting people don't want to pay big prices. I have many shop owners come buy from my booth and resell the item in their shop for 3X the amount paid. Although I'd love to have my own shop, I know the flea market booth is about as close to my own shop as I will get. So, what I guess I'm trying to say is it all depends on different elements to price an item.
    Wish all customers could be like Dolores.
    Have a great day!
    Prim Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate to be a Debbie Downer here but prices are often too high for me for handmade goods.....If your making more than double what it cost you to make the piece then thats too much. I know its not a popular view but there you go...I do not believe crafters and such should get paid an hourly wage....Where that school of thought came from i don't know...I think it came from the idea that you can support yourself with crafts........
    Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pricing is something I had a hard time with when I did the craft shows. You certainly can't make everyone happy but obviously your customer was. What a nice letter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish all my customers looked at it that way. Sometimes I think they still think I charge them too much.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some people just have no idea what goes into handcrafted items . . . no way to compare handmade from the hands of the person who created . .
    to some machine or imported item . . .
    one of kind . . . won't see the same thing in everyone's home
    "Can't Sew A Stitch" . . . appreciate my Handcrafted items SEW MUCH : )

    Dolores

    ReplyDelete