Tuesday, January 07, 2014

WHO WOULDA THUNK IT!!!! TIP TO REMOVE OVER STAINING ON DOLL PARTS



I am working on a bunny doll and the head and body dried out ok but the arms and legs dried like this.
Would be alright if I were planning for the bunny to be 'very prim' but my customer doesn't like 'very' prim.
I was just about to go in my sewing room and whip up another set of arms and legs but thought I'd first get in touch with my craft friend Diane who always has such great ideas.  I  sent her this photo and explained that I'd tea stained these parts AFTER they were stuffed and air dried them on the foil lined cookie sheet instead of popping them in the oven.  I had even paper toweled them 'dry' a bit since they were very 'wet'.  I had used a sponge to stain them.  I also turned them every 1/2 hour or so and went to bed.  When I woke this morning, this is how they looked.  Still a bit damp, but mostly dried.
Diane suggested that I rewet them, rinsing under water, squeezing excess water out and patting with an old terry cloth towel.
This is what they look like now.  :D
 
★Denise★

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had known that trick back when I made a couple of dolls! They all have splotchy arms and legs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Denise, I've been having this problem lately too. I did try running under water and squeezing and it did help some...glad to know it wasn't "just me", LOL! Can't wait to see your bunny when you are done! ~*~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how some fabric takes the stain like that, isn't it? I've used the 'rinse and repeat' method myself on more than one occasion! Glad it worked out so you didn't have to make more arms and legs! Deb

    ReplyDelete