Thursday, May 22, 2014

A DRAFT I FORGOT TO POST FROM APRIL

I had completely forgotten all about this post until just now. I decided to go ahead and put it through.

On April 14th, I woke up feeling extremely short of breath.  My ankles and belly were swollen and bloated.  When I took my shower, I was breathing very heavily, as if I'd just run a marathon.  I basically did nothing all day since I wasn't feeling 'right'.  By early evening I still wasn't feeling right so Tom took me to the ER.  I had an EKG and chest Xrays done and the diagnosis was congestive heart failure.  I was admitted for 2 days and given Lasix by IV.  They were monitoring my 'outflow' and weighing me each morning.  I lost 7 lbs of fluid.  I was on a heart healthy menu at the hosp. with no salt.  When I was released, I wasn't put on a salt restricted diet, but I have not added salt to anything since the 14th.  I was given prescriptions for Lasix and Potassium pills for every other day.  My cardiologist isn't crazy about this, as he's worried my heart will dehydrate ( I have Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) so he wants me to have blood tests done every month for the next 3-4 months so he can monitor me.  I was/am 89 lbs overweight.  wow.  :(  I did lose another 8.5 lbs since I've been home, and that includes Easter dinner plus meals on the road.  Tom and I just got back from a weeks vacation.  Now I have 73.5 more lbs to go.
I was able to get a lot of walking in while we were away, and I will continue to do so as that's the only exercise I can do at this time.   My original goal was to lose 20 lbs by our summer vacation in June ( 6 more weeks) and I know I'll get there much sooner, with only 4.5 more lbs to go.  Once I lose that 20 then my goal is 10 more...and so on.  Please wish me luck in getting my weight back down to a heart healthy size!
Hoo Boy - just got the hospital bill in today's mail.  The stay itself was 29, 376.00 and does not include doctor bills, and quite a few of THEM stopped by to see how I was doing.  That amounts to 5 minutes of their time and a couple hundred dollars each.  :/ 
UPDATE - May 22, 2014
I have been trying to do at least 30 -45 min. of walking 5 times a week.  I've missed a few days for one reason or another, but I feel like I'm getting some stamina back.  My weight keeps fluctuating between 2 lbs, lose 2, gain 1, lose 1.5, gain back 2, etc. etc.  At least I haven't been gaining, it's more like maintaining.  That wasn't my intention, but I'll take it. 

SPRING TRIP: End of April
Our trip started out in Carlisle PA, for the Spring Car Show.  From there we drove to Harrisburg and spent the night and then the next morning drove to Lancaster PA.  I bought a few things there, like this cute little bird's nest.  
On our Chicago trip, I had purchased this candlestick for $1 and I want to repaint and distress it black and attach the bird nest on top.  I also plan to make a small crow to go inside the nest.
 I found this willow tree pitcher light that matches my willow tree tea and coffee canisters.
Spent the night in Lancaster and had dinner and breakfast at Dienners Amish Restaurant.  We LOVE their buffets.  After breakfast drove to Adamstown PA for the Extravaganza Antiques show and did Shuppes Grove, Renningers, and quite a few indoor shops. 
This photo was taken at an outdoor antique flea market.  
I bought this full size quilt for $5.00
I thought it was mismarked, but that was what the vendor wanted for it.  :)

While we were away, THE box that I've been waiting for, for close to a year, FINALLY came.  I cannot believe the hassle I had to go through to get it, after promises were made, broken, made again, broken, well, you get the idea.  I'm just glad that business is over with and I never have to deal with 'it' again.  2 items were still missing, but I'm not pursuing it.
My friend Dolores sent me a gift with the sweetest note.
"Denise, Why?  Just because...after reading your comment about the Consignment Shop, I felt so sad for you, my heart was broken.  You are too good and kind to be treated like that from anyone.  I just want you to know...there are good people in this world that appreciate your kindness and I hope this little gift makes you feel a little better. 

 Thank you for your thoughtfulness, Dolores! xxoo

★Denise★

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, not what you want to hear when you go to the ER. I'll be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way

    ReplyDelete