Saturday, October 17, 2015

PET PEEVE & SOME SMALL SEGMENTED PUMPKINS

 I just need to get this off my chest.  Over the years that I've been blogging, I've received numerous email requests asking if I would mind 'sharing' how I've made something.  If I made something using someone else's design/pattern, I would refer that person to the designer's website so they could also purchase the pattern or view the tutorial.   If it was something I made without using a pattern, I would share and explain how I made the item.  It sure would be nice to receive a follow up 'thank you' email in return.  :/   I don't think that's asking a lot, just some common courtesy. 

I know I should be making Christmas items right now, but I'm still stuck on Fall items.  I've been making these small bowl filler size pumpkins that I think have turned out very cute.  They are from a design by R & K Creations


The original design is of 'sugared' pumpkins.  The pumpkins are painted orange and German glass glitter is applied.  The pattern looks awesome.  However, German glass glitter does NOT like me.  It is GLASS after all, and likes to embed itself into my hands.  I tried to make one using regular glitter that looks like sugar, instead of the glass glitter, and it doesn't look too bad I guess.  I painted the pumpkin with Mod Podge glue and then sprinkled the glitter on.  Only problem, when dry, the glitter started to fall off. 

 You can see where some glitter is missing, from falling off when moved.
 So I googled to see what others do to keep the glitter from doing this.  One tip was to mix the glitter in WITH the glue, then apply it.  Now, why didn't I think of that?  Another tip was to spray the finished piece with clear acrylic spray like Krylon.  I think I'm going to try the glitter mixed with glue method first to see how that goes.

★Denise★

3 comments:

  1. Love the fabrics you used for your pumpkins!

    I always thank the person who provides a pattern or tutorial for something I'm going to use. I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into what you all do. It annoys me (a lot) when I read the comments that nitpick or make snide remarks. There are many of us out here who are very thankful and very appreciative of what you do! Try to ignore the knuckleheads....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am one of the grateful ones. I appreciate all of you talented folks out there in blogland that share, teach and inspire the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you said what a lot of us would like to get off their chests. I like you don't mind sharing info, sources etc......to a point! But it also took me a LOT of years to acquire that knowledge and level of expertise and a thank you now and then is nice. I have had people ask me to send them the line drawings to my designs without so much a PLEASE! Thank you for all you share and craft on my friend!

    ReplyDelete