Tuesday, March 15, 2016

GETTING DISCOURAGED AGAIN

 At one point I was pretty disgusted with chalky paint.  Then I decided to give it another chance and was somewhat okay with it.  This is in reference to the two shelves I painted.  Trust me when I say that if these were pieces I was trying to sell, I would be horrified to put my name on them.  Since they are for my personal use, I can live with them.
Or so I thought until I started painting the bedside table.  See those sanded spots?  Before I started sanding, they were bubbles caused from liquids being accidentally spilled on it.  I had it covered up with a rag quilt table topper.  This bedroom set is made from pressed board.  I ABSOLUTELY DETEST THIS STUFF.  It's horrible.  I'm assuming the wood grain 'look' is laminate, but I don't know that for sure.  All I know is once I started sanding it didn't take much to get to the pressed wood part and the bubbles were slowly smoothing out . . . or so I thought.  I had to paint 4 layers of the chalky paint on for good coverage, and even that was not that great, but I thought it was passable.  Once it was thoroughly dried, you could still see bubbles, even though I sanded it down REALLY good.
I don't believe you can actually see the bubbles in the painted photo, but believe me, they are there.  Not a huge deal because I have a pretty lace runner to put over it.
At the very bottom of the dresser where the wood is cut into 'waves', you can see what appears to be white areas (you might have to click on photo for better view) - this is where the pressed wood was literally crumbling, and sanding it only made it worse, so I had to paint over it.  It bothers me, but probably no one else would notice it.

I originally bought Americana Decor Soft-Touch Varnish for the top sealing coat, and  that worked fine on the shelves that I repainted.  It was suggested to me that instead I should apply Minwax Polycrylic as that would give me more protection since the drawers will be touched and opened and closed on a daily basis.  Would also help against scratching if things were moved around on top of the dressers.  So..... on the 2 drawers that go in this table, I applied thin coats of the Minwax with a sponge brush.  I allowed them to dry 3 hours and they looked streaky and it looked like I missed MANY spots/areas and I KNOW I was thorough.  I get on the computer and start looking for answers.  One was to use a brown paper bag like very fine sandpaper and rub lightly across the  topcoat, wipe off with clean white T-shirt.  I then reapplied the Minwax with a brush.  I let completely dry and went to take a look and  THESE 2 brownish marks were NOT here before I applied the Minwax. ARRRGGHHHH


 I am just so frustrated.  I could NEVER refurbish furniture for a living!!  I'm going to let the drawers 'cure' for 24 hours whatever that means and then rub down again and see if there is any difference.  In the meantime I haven't yet applied any to the cabinet itself.   As my paternal grandma used to say  when she was having a bad day "Give me strength".

★Denise★

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh I can sense your frustration Denise. I hope it goes better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I would have been pulling my hair out by now. I have no patience for stuff like this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand your frustration. I decided to give chalk paint a try too on an old dresser...I primed any areas I thought would be bad, but even after 4 coats, those areas still show (they were water rings). I got so frustrated that I decided to go to the aging step with wax...ended up that isn't too forgiving either and the entire piece is darker than I wanted it to be. Guess I will just go with it, but not sure I will give chalk paint a try again..it's expensive and I cannot really see the advantages of it over a plain flat, that I would poly over anyway.

    ReplyDelete